Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Seven Stars Farm

I haven't been able to make a batch of yogurt in awhile because my yogurt maker is buried somewhere in our storage space waiting to move into our house. I usually mix some yogurt in with the Bean's daily breakfast of oatmeal and pureed fruit. Because buying little containers seems wasteful for that purpose, I've been buying Stonyfield Farm's yogurt because it's the only one I could find that was made with organic whole milk (best for babies) and in a plain variety (I figure the Bean gets plenty of natural sugars from the mangoes, cherries, bananas, peaches, and other fruits that we serve her with the yogurt). I'm not sure what to think about Stonyfield. I'm skeptical about the sale of the company to Dannon. Anyway, when I ran into Whole Foods today in search of yogurt, I was pleased to see whole milk plain yogurt that's organic (biodynamic even) and local. I grabbed some Seven Stars Farm yogurt, and mixed some in with the Bean's dinner of lentils, avocado and green beans. It was a hit with her and tasted delicious to me too. Seven Stars Farm is located in nearby Chester County on 350 acres that are owned by the Kimberton Waldorf School and protected from development. The couple that farms the land produces the yogurt in small batches and, as far as I can tell from this story, exemplifies caretaking of the earth.

PS - We close on the house on Wednesday! We move on Saturday! Yes, that's worthy of many exclamation points! It may be a little while longer until we get the internet situation sorted out, but I promise that more frequent posts are coming along with some writing for a new venture.

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home