Ardent Eden

Ardent Eden is a place to explore my thoughts about the interdependence of life - humanity and nature - and to engage with others for collective problem-solving.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Feed the Good Wolf

The title of this post is my new motto based on a story I read in the Elizabeth Berg novel, The Year of Pleasures:

There is a story about a Navajo grandfather who once told his grandson, "Two
wolves live inside me. One is the bad wolf, full of greed and laziness, full of anger and jealousy and regret. The other is the good wolf, full of joy and compassion and willingness and a great love for the world. All the time, these wolves are fighting inside me." "But grandfather," the boy said. "Which wolf will win?" The grandfather answered, "The one I feed."

*I'm aware that a photo of a wolf would be more appropriate, but I cut these black eyed daisies from my front bed this weekend and have been enjoying them on the table since them. Maybe the good wolf is hungry for some beauty this week.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    That's precisely how I feel on a daily basis - always the struggle to do what's right and good and difficult rather than doing what's easy and self-indulgent. Thankfully my "good wolf" prevails - except when my husband comes home with a bag of Oreo's!

    Lauren - I am THRILLED beyond words that you liked the bag! I'm going to order more artichoke fabric and also a nice purple fabric with eggplants - perfect for more produce bags!

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lauren, you rule. what a great posting. feed the good wolf. what you give your attention to thrives, what you deny your attention dies. feed the good plants. I am jealous of your raspberries! I hope to see you all sometime soon. Love, Lindsey

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Laurie said…

    What a great story! I'll have to check that book out.

    When I stopped smoking after 16 years and 10 years of trying, I finally was successful because I visualized my smoking self as my 3-year-old child who wanted to play in traffic. Not original with me, but I think it shows that a powerful visualization can really help you move in the right direction.

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I found your blog when searching for the 'Feed the Wolf' story and love the pics of your garden...reminds me of how I miss my garden now that we're in the cold days of November. Just wondering why there's nothing after July '06? Do you have another site? if so I'd like to see it...my e-mail is ryanmichaelt@hotmail.com

    Peace, Michael

     

Post a Comment

<< Home